3.19.2013

The Next Episode

This is Kevin posting for one of the first times - and that's because Rachal is in the hospital right now - plugged into monitors and all sorts of cables monitoring her. Everything was going according to plan this afternoon when I left work to meet Rachal around lunch time - a scheduled date with Dr. Leveno. I didn't want to pass up on this opportunity so we drove there separately - her from home, me from work. Rachal has come down with flu-like symptoms this week so it was a good thing we were heading to the doc. The 'plan' was to go see Dr. Leveno for a sonogram of Rachal's belly. We found out at 4 weeks that we knocked one out of the park, then confirmed shortly thereafter by the dr. We went to the doctor knowing we were expecting a baby, and we were preparing mentally for this little gem to rock our world's. We were not prepared for what happened next. When the doc applied the jelly and put the image on the screen she had a change of expression. Rachal's mom, (who drove her because I wouldn't let her drive herself due to her puke-fest) prematurely screeched with excitement, "I see a baby!!!" the moment the black fuzzy image was on-screen. (I thought she was nuts because, really - no one knows what to look at on an ultrasound unless it's labeled, I think the excitement just got to her). The sonogram tech pulled back and with that changed expression, "that's not what I see. I see more than one baby, I see two!" WHAT?? Did you seriously just say we're having more than one baby??

Life. Changed. 

We spent the next 20 minutes or so going through all the measurements and identifying characters of what type of twins this could be. Upon her lengthy inspection of each little rose-bud she showed us how (I'm pretty sure I've understood this part for a while now) and why this happened. We're going to have twins! Rachal had to stay at the hospital to get an IV with fluids because she's already very dehydrated. The odds of having naturally conceived identical twins is .003% - unreal. From a quick survey I've conducted, the closest relative I have on my side who is a twin (of any combination) is my Mum's cousin. That's my mom's, mom's cousin - that's not close. Rachal's mom's mom is a twin - however neither of us have any twins produced in the last 50 years from either family. Rachal's due-date is currently Nov 1 - we'll be bringing 2 boys, or 2 girls home for keeps. I think now is as good a time as any to start stocking up on multiples of everything.

Independently of eachother for the last few weeks Rachal and I have felt that we were going to be receiving more than one sweetheart. I can't even begin to describe how full my heart is, knowing that we get to be their parents.


This is the post Rachal had composed a few days ago, prior to the flu-like issues - irony ensues.

So far this pregnancy has been awesome! With Wes I found out I was preggers at 6 weeks, then I became deathly ill. This time we tested at 4 weeks and I haven't gotten sick yet! Fingers crossed! Since this pregnancy has already been so different I am guessing the baby must be a boy. I am constantly thirsty and downing lemon-lime Gatorade. I get really worn out and that's when I start to feel a little nauseous, but it hasn't been bad at all.


I didn't know the 2 lines meant 2 babies - who would have thought?
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=2244af0c01&view=att&th=13d8514e98b26b87&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_uafm7k-Ee1n0nBisb6VJj&sadet=1363737572408&sads=cAJ85QrlaQ2UoGq3HT3hYTQn0gQ&sadssc=1 
 https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=2244af0c01&view=att&th=13d8514e98b26b87&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_uafm7k-Ee1n0nBisb6VJj&sadet=1363737602042&sads=ZnkStSGv2zy81QRFQsKTqsK1RV0
I don't think Wes has any clue how much her spotlight will be shared in November (probably earlier based on all the books I've read about twins). She's been learning and growing so much in the past few months that she continually surprises every day. We're looking forward to great things from her - including but not limited to: midnight feedings, diaper changing, singing to her sibs, bath time and lots of loves.

Here's the link to see Rachal's mom flipping out when Wes shared her news with the Ricks.
https://vimeo.com/61898716

5 comments:

  1. congrats! Isn't life amazing, and full of surprises?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing!!! TWINS!!!!! ahhh! i'd be freaking out xox haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHHH YOU GUYS!!!! I am SOO happy and excited for you!!!! Congratulations! Rach I wish I was there to give you a huge hug!!! Love you guys!!! Wes is going to make an amazing big sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Twins are so much fun, you'll love it!
    I would highly recommend getting "What to expect when you're expecting twins, triplets, or quads" by Barbara Luke. Lots of good information about carrying multiples.

    ReplyDelete