I started having contractions early on Saturday, but I was able to make it through the weekend. As long as I took it easy and drank lots of water they would keep going away. Today the doctor did an FFA test and when it came back positive he decided I should stay in the hospital tonight for monitoring. So here I am, again. The contractions don't hurt, but the really tight ones do take my breath away. Kevin has gone home to sleep and since he has early meetings, Weslie is sleeping at my visiting teacher's tonight. It is really bizarre for all of us to be spread out tonight. I would much rather be at home in my own bed, especially since Weslie has made snuggling in our bed part of the bedtime routine. I definitely have a little separation anxiety with her. The nurse doesn't seem too worried about my contractions being preterm labor contractions but she gave me some meds to help slow them down. I am probably going to be leaving here and going home to house arrest, which really just stresses me out even more because I still have lots to do! I can hear a little newborn crying in the next room and it is making me want my babies here....but I know they are not ready. Which brings us to our second problem....
The babies are discordant. This means that one baby is bigger than the other. Since they share a placenta we have to be careful that one baby isn't taking all the nutrients. Over 20% discordance is when they start to worry. The babies measured 26% at my sonogram this morning, so I went to see my specialist again to get more measurements. We are still waiting to get those results from our regular doctor. Hopefully things are okay but there is a chance that we might have to take them even earlier. I got a painful steroid right in my cheek to help their lungs develop faster, just in case. The measurements are going to get less and less accurate since they keep getting bigger and more squished in there it is harder to get the angles that are needed for measurements. Today they measured:
Baby A: 3lbs 7oz
Baby B: 4lbs 10oz
At the specialist sonogram baby B measured over 5lbs. So we will see what the doctor has to say...
So for now I am just being monitored and waiting to hear more.
Good luck. I'm sorry you have to spend the night in the hospital, what a bummer. I'm sending prayers your way that your girls are okay. The boys had twin to twin transfusion when they were born. It caused some stress at first, but everything turned out okay.
ReplyDelete