10.10.2013

Life After the Hospital

Sometimes I still can't believe there's two! They are really starting to look identical now that their weight is evening out a bit. I can always tell who it is though. They are both so different. We love them so much. We actually left the hospital a day early. I couldn't wait to get them home and settled.



That Saturday was the perfect day to bring them home. It was rainy and chilly outside and the crisp air was so refreshing after being cooped up in the hospital for days. We got some delicious hot chocolate from Starbucks on the way home, did some light unpacking, and then snuggled right up with them on the couch. It was so good to be home again! After a little time alone my parents brought Weslie over with some treats for us. It was her birthday and we loved hearing all about her day and all the fun things she did while she stayed with them. Wes wanted to stay home with us so we started figuring out how to juggle everything right off the bat. The next day was conference and it was so nice to lounge around and listen to the talks. My mom's turkey dinner was the perfect meal after an exhausting week too. The first few days are always so special. I have been lucky and have had lots of alone time to snuggle my little newborns, as Kevin took this week off. He has been such a great help with everything, especially with giving Weslie special time and attention. Don't worry he's had lots of time for baby snuggles too.
Things are completely opposite of what I thought they would be. Weslie seems to be having a harder time adjusting as the days go by. We have been trying to give her alone time each day and we have been able to go out as a family or just her and Kevin at least once a day to do something fun with her. It has been especially hard on me to see her struggle. I feel like I'm being spread extra thin between two tiny babies that want to be held and close to their momma in this strange new world and my sweet little girl who needs reassurance and extra snuggles. We are just taking each day at a time and letting her warm up to them at her own pace. The times when she wants to hold one are cherished moments right now, and I look forward to the day when she loves playing with them. That has by far been the hardest part of adjusting.


Everyone I know or meet randomly with twins keeps telling me how the first part is the hardest, that they cried all the time and that it will get better. I don't know what they're talking about because these girls are so easy. They NEVER cry unless they are hungry (assuming we don't have to wake them up to eat). Weslie cried way more than the two of them put together. It could just be that they are extra sleepy and still growing a lot because they were born early, but I am going to enjoy every minute of it while I can and hope that it lasts. I love seeing them together. I love waking up at nights to feed them because it's more quiet time I get to hold and enjoy them. I can't believe we've had them for a week already and yet I can't imagine our lives without them.




1 comment: